As some of you may have noticed (or not), my domain name is now tashagrimes.org. After changing it, I realized that, based on what I want this website to become, over the next couple of years, this may be the best domain name for me. But initially, I was NOT happy about changing it. Once you have a established a domain name for your website, and your readers are familiar with it, the last thing you want to do, is change it suddenly. But I had no choice.
I was notified through email, by the registrar, that I'd let my domain name expire. Yes, it was an oversight on my part. I'm generally pretty good about keeping track of these things, as I've had this domain for 4 years now. But the date for renewal, slipped by me, this time. I thought, "no big deal, let me just renew it now, and republish." Wrong. I should've known it wouldn't be quite that easy. It never is, is it? I went to put in my credit card information, and the registrar's blurb read, verbatim:
"Domain expiration is a lengthy and complicated process that takes about 80 days. During this time your domain name may be put up for auction or sold on back order. However, the good news is we may still be able to recover it, if it has not been deleted or purchased, by someone else. A late renewal fee of $80 has been assessed, in addition to regular price of renewal. This is charged by the registry and cannot be waived. If we cannot recover your domain, the fee will be refunded."
Hmm... lengthy and complicated, huh? It may be auctioned or sold, eh? You can recover it if hasn't been purchased by someone else, you say?
Why would it be complicated, auctioned, or sold? It's MY name, I'M trying to BUY IT NOW. Why do I need to wait 80 days, when I'M HERE NOW to purchase it? Y'all know it's ME. It's MY ACCOUNT, that I'M trying to renew it through you, at THIS VERY PRESENT MOMENT. NO ONE WANTS MYYYY NAME, except ME!
And you mean to tell me that after the $80 fee is assessed, I'm going to end up paying well over a hundred dollars for something that should only cost a few dollars?!
I STARTED to just pay it. I was GOING to just pay it. But then the EIGHTY DAY statement leaped off the page at me, again. Who has 80 days to wait? 80. Days. AAANNDD 80. DOLLARS.
No. I don't have that kind of time. So I chose to purchase tashagrimes.org instead. In the future this will be the most fitting domain name, anyway. But, rest assured, after that 80 day limbo period is over, I will be purchasing tashagrimes.COM back, as well as all other variations of my name. .BIZ . SHOP .INFO. tashagrimeslife.com and .NET
I refuse to go on the auction block again. :)
So if you were looking for me, here I am. Tell a friend.